Citizen Engagement: questions comments concerns

Fire Department - Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and deadly gas. It is almost the same density of air, not heavier or lighter, so it mixes freely with it. Because you can't see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can kill you before you know it's present. CO is breathed in and bonds with the hemoglobin in your blood, displacing the oxygen you need. It will eventually displace enough to suffocate you from the inside out, resulting in death or brain injury.

Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?

It is a by-product of anything that burns. It comes from gas or oil fired appliances such as furnaces, dryers, stoves, water heaters, fireplaces and barbecues. It can also come from wood burning stoves and fireplaces and automobile engines.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms can be mistaken for those accompanying the flu. They may include headache, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, and confusion. If you feel better after being away from the house for a period of time, you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Look for a detector that is ULC listed to the Canadian Gas Association (CGA) standard #619. The ULC mark guarantees that the product has passed tests in the areas of performance, safety and accuracy.

Where do I put my Carbon Monoxide detector?

Near the sleeping area, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which recommends at least one detector per household. A second detector located near the home's heating source adds an extra measure of safety.

To best view this website, please use Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 9 or Google Chrome 

iCompass Technologies Inc.