Applications, Licences and Permits

subnav icon More

The following is a list of common licenses, permits and information on the application process of the Township of Lake of Bays. If you require an alternative format, please contact the Accessibility Coordinator.

Building and Construction

 How to Submit a Building Application

Building applications and requests for inspections can now be submitted online through Cloudpermit.

 Access Cloudpermit

This online tool allows you to see the status of your application at any time and from any location. You will get updates on the progress of your application throughout the e-permitting application process.

New to Cloudpermit?

Get more information on our Cloudpermit information page.

Construct or Demolish Permit

New applications must be submitted through Cloudpermit.

To construct or demolish single family dwelling (SFD), cottage, additions or accessory structures the following applications may be required:

Dock and Boathouse/Boat Port Permit

To construct, install or demolish docks, boathouses or boat ports the following application will be required:

Development Charges

Development charges are fees collected from developers at the time they apply for a building permit. Development charges help pay for the cost of infrastructure required to provide municipal services such as roads, bridges, and community centres, fire and police facilities. Development charges are collected when building on vacant lands and on commercial buildings.

Water & Ice Travel Inspection Request

Booking an inspection where the inspector is required to travel over ice or water requires the following forms to be submitted to Building Services 48 hours prior to the inspection.

Septic Permit

Septic permit applications must be submitted through Cloudpermit. Fill out the forms below and attach them to your Cloudpermit septic system application.

Tent Permits & Air Support Structures

New applications must be submitted through Cloudpermit.

A permit for a tent or group of tents is required when the tent or group of tents are:

  1. Over 60 m2 (approximately 645 ft2) in aggregate ground area;
  2. Attached to a building, and;
  3. Constructed closer than 3 m (approximately 10 feet) from other structure.
  • Tent/Air Support Structure Permit Requirements
    • site sketch with dimensions, outlining the lot, existing structures, proposed tent(s) or air support structure(s) location, distance of structure(s) to existing structure(s), water bodies or tributaries, property lines and location of septic bed & tank
    • A layout (floor plan) of the tent outlining interior arrangement, ie: tables, chairs, aisles, band, food services, bar, dance floor, etc. 
    • Indicate location and number of exits
    • provide proof of flame resistance rating (provided by tent supplier) 
  • Tent Permit - Fire Form (Fillable)
  • Building Application - Tent (submitted through Cloudpermit)
Property Compliance Report

The Township of Lake of Bays offers several Compliance Reports related to building, septic systems, and land use. These reports include:

  1. Building and Zoning Compliance Report
    • A Building and Zoning Compliance Report is a document that provides details regarding issued building permits on file, the status of inspections, and any outstanding orders. It also offers information with respect to the zoning designation, permitted uses, and any planning approvals for the property. 
    • A Building and Zoning Compliance report does not include any details regarding agreements registered on title (or unregistered agreements with the Town).

  2. Sewage System Compliance Report (Septic Report)
    • A Sewage System Compliance Report provides details regarding the Septic Use Permit issued for the property.

Requesting a Compliance Report:

To request a Compliance Report from the Township of Lake of Bays, please follow the steps below:

  1. A minimum of ten business days are required to process a request.
  2. Fill out a separate form for each Compliance Report you are requesting.
  3. On the form, provide your complete mailing address or email address, depending on your preferred method of receiving the Compliance Report.
  4. Submit the completed form(s) by:
    • Email - Send the completed form(s) as an attachment to the Building Department
    • Mail - Print out the completed form(s) and mail them to the following address: 1012 Dwight Beach Road, Dwight, ON. P0A 1H0
    • Drop-off - Visit the municipal office during regular business hours and submit the completed form(s) in person. The municipal office address is the same as above: 1012 Dwight Beach Road, Dwight, ON. P0A 1H0
  5. The Compliance Report will be emailed or mailed (as requested) to you at the address you indicate on the form.

Request Form:

Business Permits & Licences (BizPal)

BizPal logo that reads business starts here

BizPaL is a free online service that provides entrepreneurs with easy access to information about business permits, licences and other requirements needed to start, operate and grow their business.

  • One stop shop to learn about municipal, provincial, and federal government requirements
  • Free to use
  • Easy and convenient
  • Accessible anytime

Spend less time dealing with red tape – saving effort and money in the process – and more time building your business.

Launch the BizPal Service

Civic Addressing (911 Sign)

Your civic address is the location of your property. A civic address is made up of three parts: a civic number, a full street name and the municipality.

Visit our Civic Addressing webpage for more information

Commercial Use of Municipal Property

The Commercial Use of Municipal Property Agreement allows for the commercial use of municipal property (including docks, parking, outdoor facilities or other structures) by person, company, or franchise whether vending or renting, and may include the following:

  • Docking of vessels;
  • Parking of vehicles or trailers;
  • Selling food/beverages;
  • Cooking food within a food truck or trailer; 
  • Renting of equipment; or
  • Use of docks and facilities.

To apply, please complete the Commercial Use of Municipal Property Permit Application along with the application fee.

Dog Licence

Lifetime dog licenses are available at the Township offices at the Building/Planning counter from By-law Enforcement Services staff. Bring proof of vaccination for your animal to the municipal office during business hours when requesting a license. Staff will ask for:

  • Dog's description/information
  • Owner's contact information
  • Copy of records of vaccination and spay/neuter being completed
  • Fees

Reminder that our By-law for the Control and Licensing of Dogs within the Lake of Bays states that every person who owns or cares for any dog shall have a license, required once in the lifetime of the animal. Please update By-law Services if your contact information changes, or your dog ownership changes.

New residents are asked to register their dog with the first 30 days of becoming a resident within the Township of Lake of Bays. If you receive a notice or warning for not having a license for your dog, there will be a $30.00 charge for this lifetime license.

Encroachment Agreement (Licence of Occupation)

For policies and applications related to the use of municipal land, visit our Sale of Municipal Land page.

Freedom of Information Request

Learn about making a Freedom of Information Request

Heritage Property Tax Relief Program

This program provides an incentive to property owners to invest in the on-going conservation of their heritage building. For application forms and more information, view our Heritage Property Tax Relief Program.

LED Community Sign Message Request

It is free to promote your community event on the LED Community Signs located in Dwight and Baysville.

Submit a Message Request.

Dwight Sign 

Baysville Sign

LED comunity sign in Dwight

Baysville LED sign

Lottery Licence

View our Lottery Licencing information.


View our weddings page for more information.

Municipal Access User Agreement (MAUA)

The Municipal Access User Agreement allows for approved use of Township property, along with the parking of vehicles and boats for related purposes. Staff is given authority by Council, as defined under the Public Parks By-law Section 3, paragraph (f) to review and approve agreements between the Township and an approved user for the non-residential/commercial use of Township property.

You may apply in writing, completing a User Agreement Application and submitting Fees for the following uses of Municipally-owned water access areas:

  • Operation of vehicle(s), boat(s), barge(s) for commercial purposes
  • Water access by residents who are using the access point for the transfer of materials or contractors for the purposes of work done to their property

Any overnight or long-term parking/storing of commercial vehicles can ONLY be considered at Remote Landings as defined with the by-law. If vehicles are tagged with a warning, and found continued to be unattended, the vehicle or boat may be removed by the Township or a person contracted on its behalf and shall be subject to the lien provisions, storage and disposal requirements, as set out in the Repair and Storage Liens Act.

Planning and Development

How to submit a Planning Application

A planning application can be submitted by email to

  • mail to the Township of Lake of Bays municipal office address 
  • drop off at the secure drop-box, located at Township municipal office

Consent (Severance)

Dividing land requires approval from the Committee of Adjustment.

Deeming By-Law

Required to remove a lot from a plan of subdivision; usually used when closing part of the Original Shore Road Allowance fronting a lot in order to ensure properties merge.

Development Permits

If you want to use or develop your property in a way that does not comply with the existing Development Permit By-law 2004-180.

Remove Vegetation

When you would like to remove vegetation from within the shoreline activity area.

Minor Variance

If you want to use or develop your property in a minor way that does not comply with the existing Comprehensive Zoning By-law 2004-181.


If you want to use or develop your property that does not comply with the existing Comprehensive Zoning By-law 2004-181.

Site Plan Agreement

Site plan control applies to construction, development and redevelopment on certain lands within the Township. Please contact Planning Services for further information. 

Official Plan Amendment

If you want to use or develop your property in a way that conflicts with the approved Official Plan, you will need to apply for an amendment.

Purchase of Original Shore Road and Road Allowance

For policies and applications related to purchasing shoreline road allowances or road allowances, visit our Sale of Municipal Land page.


Entrance Permits

Apply for an entrance permit if you need to install a new entrance, change the location of an existing one, or formalize an existing entrance. The Township is only responsible for entrances that have a finalized permit.

District of Muskoka roads

If you live on a District of Muskoka road please contact 705-645-6764.

Road Occupation Permit

Apply for a Road Occupancy Permit before you install a utility within a Township road allowance, including:

  • water
  • septic
  • hydro
  • telephone

Any damage that you cause when installing a utility while not having a permit is your responsibility.

Licence Agreement (previously known as Unassumed Road Improvement Agreement)

Make sure that you have an Licence Agreement before working on and/or improving a Township Road Allowance.

Short-term Rentals Licence

Effective January 1, 2022, a Short-term Rentals licence was required within the Township. 

Sign Permit

Permits required for the placement of Signs and Advertising Devices are regulated by the Sign By-law.

Special Event Permit

Hosting a Special Event

*Applications must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the event. Failure to do so may result in your application not being processed in time for your event.

To host an event on municipal property, it is mandatory to obtain a Special Event Permit. The permit application below must be submitted a minimum of 90 days prior to the event date, and there is a $50 application fee associated with obtaining the permit.

Applications and Forms

Special Event Permit Application Form


If you plan to have a Tent at your event, you may need to obtain a permit or complete a form. Please visit Tent Permits & Air Support Structures for more information.

Community Event Designation

An event designated by Council as an “Annual Event” hosted by a community group or organization that enhances tourism, civic pride and provides economic benefit to the community may apply for as a Community Event.

For one application fee, a designated Community Event is eligible to receive relief from applicable fees and charges, including:

  • Advertising of noise exemptions and/or temporary road closures;
  • Sign permit;
  • Vendors permit;
  • Public liability insurance for the event only (excluding alcohol, vendors, and rides) in the amount not less than two million dollars; and
  • One day community centre rental for fundraising purposes.

The application fee for an event with a Community Event Designation is: 

  • $200.00 for events with an expected attendance of up to 1,000 people
  • $350.00 for events with an expected attendance of over 1,001 people


What is a Special Event Permit?
A special event permit is required for events taking place on municipal property or events that use municipal services.
What events require a Special Event Permit?

A special event is a festival or fair, a procession or march, a drill, a parade, a celebration or wedding, or other organized event that is hosted on municipal property and includes any of the following components:

  • Rides/activities
  • Street closures
  • Fireworks or lasers
  • Traffic control
  • Need for security
  • Use of elevated stages or other temporary structures
  • Live entertainment
  • Barbeques/Open flames
  • Generators/electrical distribution
  • Food or beverage sale
  • Shooting of films, television commercials or videos
  • Competitive or non-competitive operation of motorized and/or non-motorized vehicles
Does my event require a Special Event Permit if held on private property?

No. If your event is entirely on private property, you will not need a Special Event Permit. However, you may still need to apply for exemptions to the Noise Control By-law, temporary road closures, a tent permit, and/or a special occasion permit issued by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

Does my event require a Special Event Permit if held on municipal property?

Yes. If your event is partially or entirely held on municipal property, or uses municipal services and falls under the category of a special event you require a Special Event Permit and it must be submitted 90 days prior to the event date.

There are exclusions to the Special Event Permit including funeral processions, picketing and picnics.

What events do not require a Special Event Permit?
Events that do not require a special event permit include funeral processions, picketing, and picnics. If your event is entirely on private property, you may not need a special event permit, but you may need to apply for exemptions for certain by-laws or permits.
What locations can I host my event at?

The Township of Lake of Bays offers many charming locations to host events, including beaches, pavilions, and parks. You can also host an event by booking one of our community centres.

Can I Serve Alcohol at my Event?
If you are planning on serving or selling alcohol at your event, you may need a special occasions permit issued by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

For an event on municipal property that involves the selling or serving of alcohol, we will need a copy of your Host Liquor Liability insurance, in the amount not less than two million dollars, listing the Township as an additional insured and a copy of the issued special occasions permit prior to approving your special event permit with alcohol.

When should I submit my Special Event Permit application?

You should submit your application at least 90 days prior to your event.

What is the application fee for a Special Event Permit?
  • Special Event Permit application fee is $50.00
  • Community Event Designated special events have an application fee of: 
    • $200.00 for events with an expected attendance of up to 1,000 people
    • $350.00 for events with an expected attendance of over 1,001 people

The Township accepts cash, cheque, debit and e-tranfers. Cheques are payable to the “Township of Lake of Bays”.

How do I submit my special event permit application?
 Please complete the Special Event Permit Application Form
Do I need to provide proof of insurance for my event?
Yes, you will need to provide proof of public liability insurance in the amount not less than two million dollars (listing the Township as an additional insured) or purchase coverage through the Township.

Policies and Resources

Special Occasion Certificate

Special Occasion Certificates from the Mayor may be requested for birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other types of special events.

Please submit your request in writing at least two (2) weeks prior to the special occasion to the Corporate Services Department and include the following information:

  • Name of individual(s) to receive certificate;
  • Reason for requesting special occasion certificate;
  • Date of special occasion;
  • Your name and contact information so that pick up arrangements can be made.

Vendor's Permit

Vendor's Permit Application and Fees






Contact Us