Skip to main content Skip to footer


Applications, Licences and Permits

The following is a list of common licenses, permits and information on the application process of the Township of Lake of Bays. If you require an alternative format, please contact the Accessibility Coordinator.

An application must be completed for each piece of art being considered for acquisition or donation to the Township’s Public Art Inventory, and it must follow the Township's Art in Public Spaces Policy.

How to Submit a Building Application

Please note that it may take up to 10 working days to review your application once it is complete

Building applications and requests for inspections can now be submitted online through Cloudpermit.

This online tool allows you to see the status of your application at any time and from any location. You will get updates on the progress of your application throughout the e-permitting application process.

New to Cloudpermit?

Get more information on our Cloudpermit information page.


Construct or Demolish Permit

New applications must be submitted through Cloudpermit.

To construct or demolish single family dwelling (SFD), cottage, additions or accessory structures the following applications may be required:

Dock and Boathouse/Boat Port Permit

To construct, install or demolish docks, boathouses or boat ports the following application will be required:


Development Charges

Development charges are fees collected from developers at the time they apply for a building permit. Development charges help pay for the cost of infrastructure required to provide municipal services such as roads, bridges, and community centres, fire and police facilities. Development charges are collected when building on vacant lands and on commercial buildings.


Water & Ice Travel Inspection Request

Booking an inspection where the inspector is required to travel over ice or water requires one of the following forms to be submitted to Building Services as an attachment in Cloudpermit or by email to 48 hours prior to the inspection.


Septic Permit

Septic permit applications must be submitted through Cloudpermit. Fill out the forms below and attach them to your Cloudpermit septic system application.


Tent Permits & Air Support Structures

New applications must be submitted through Cloudpermit.

A permit for a tent or group of tents is required when the tent or group of tents are:

  1. Over 60 m(approximately 645 ft2) in aggregate ground area;
  2. Attached to a building, and;
  3. Constructed closer than 3 m (approximately 10 feet) from other structure.
  • Tent/Air Support Structure Permit Requirements
    • site sketch with dimensions, outlining the lot, existing structures, proposed tent(s) or air support structure(s) location, distance of structure(s) to existing structure(s), water bodies or tributaries, property lines and location of septic bed & tank
    • A layout (floor plan) of the tent outlining interior arrangement, ie: tables, chairs, aisles, band, food services, bar, dance floor, etc. 
    • Indicate location and number of exits
    • provide proof of flame resistance rating (provided by tent supplier) 
  • Tent Permit - Fire Form (Fillable)
  • Building Application - Tent (submitted through Cloudpermit)


Property Compliance Report

The Township of Lake of Bays offers several Compliance Reports related to building, septic systems, and land use. These reports include:

  1. Building and Zoning Compliance Report
    • A Building and Zoning Compliance Report is a document that provides details regarding issued building permits on file, the status of inspections, and any outstanding orders. It also offers information with respect to the zoning designation, permitted uses, and any planning approvals for the property. 
    • A Building and Zoning Compliance report does not include any details regarding agreements registered on title (or unregistered agreements with the Town).

  2. Sewage System Compliance Report (Septic Report)
    • A Sewage System Compliance Report provides details regarding the Septic Use Permit issued for the property.

Requesting a Compliance Report:

To request a Compliance Report from the Township of Lake of Bays, please follow the steps below:

  1. A minimum of ten business days are required to process a request.
  2. Fill out a separate form for each Compliance Report you are requesting.
  3. On the form, provide your complete mailing address or email address, depending on your preferred method of receiving the Compliance Report.
  4. Submit the completed form(s) by:
    • Email - Send the completed form(s) as an attachment to the Building Department
    • Mail - Print out the completed form(s) and mail them to the following address: 1012 Dwight Beach Road, Dwight, ON. P0A 1H0
    • Drop-off - Visit the municipal office during regular business hours and submit the completed form(s) in person. The municipal office address is the same as above: 1012 Dwight Beach Road, Dwight, ON. P0A 1H0
  5. The Compliance Report will be emailed or mailed (as requested) to you at the address you indicate on the form.

Request Form:

BizPal logo that reads business starts here

BizPaL is a free online service that provides entrepreneurs with easy access to information about business permits, licences and other requirements needed to start, operate and grow their business.

  • One stop shop to learn about municipal, provincial, and federal government requirements
  • Free to use
  • Easy and convenient
  • Accessible anytime

Spend less time dealing with red tape – saving effort and money in the process – and more time building your business.

Launch the BizPal Service

Your civic address is the location of your property. A civic address is made up of three parts: a civic number, a full street name and the municipality.

Visit our Civic Addressing webpage for more information

Please be advised that we require a minimum of 45 days to process a complete application before a licence may be issued.

The Commercial Use of Municipal Property Agreement allows for the commercial use of municipal property (including docks, parking, outdoor facilities or other structures) by person, company, or franchise whether vending or renting, and may include the following:

  • Docking of vessels;
  • Parking of vehicles or trailers;
  • Selling food/beverages;
  • Cooking food within a food truck or trailer; 
  • Renting of equipment; or
  • Use of docks and facilities.

To apply, please complete the Commercial Use of Municipal Property Permit Application along with the application fee.

Lifetime dog licenses are available at the Township offices at the Building/Planning counter from By-law Enforcement Services staff. Bring proof of vaccination for your animal to the municipal office during business hours when requesting a license. Staff will ask for:

  • Dog's description/information
  • Owner's contact information
  • Copy of records of vaccination and spay/neuter being completed
  • Fees

Reminder that our By-law for the Control and Licensing of Dogs within the Lake of Bays states that every person who owns or cares for any dog shall have a license, required once in the lifetime of the animal. Please update By-law Services if your contact information changes, or your dog ownership changes.

New residents are asked to register their dog with the first 30 days of becoming a resident within the Township of Lake of Bays. If you receive a notice or warning for not having a license for your dog, there will be a $30.00 charge for this lifetime license.

Apply for an Encroachment Agreement (Licence of Occupation).

For all policies and applications related to the use of municipal land, visit our Sale of Municipal Land page.

Learn about making a Freedom of Information Request

This program provides an incentive to property owners to invest in the on-going conservation of their heritage building. For application forms and more information, view our Heritage Property Tax Relief Program.

It is free to promote your community event on the LED Community Signs located in Dwight and Baysville.

Submit a Message Request.

Dwight Sign 

Baysville Sign

LED comunity sign in Dwight

Baysville LED sign

View our Lottery Licencing information.

View our weddings page for more information.

Please be advised that we require 30 days to process a complete application which applies to new or renewal allocations.

The Municipal Access User Agreement allows for approved use of Township property, along with the parking of vehicles and boats for related purposes. Staff is given authority by Council, as defined under the Public Parks By-law Section 3, paragraph (f) to review and approve agreements between the Township and an approved user for the non-residential/commercial use of Township property.

You may apply in writing, completing a Municipal Access User Application & Agreement and submitting Fees for the following uses of Municipally-owned water access areas:

  • Operation of vehicle(s), boat(s), barge(s) for commercial purposes
  • Water access by residents who are using the access point for the transfer of materials or contractors for the purposes of work done to their property

Any overnight or long-term parking/storing of commercial vehicles can ONLY be considered at Remote Landings as defined with the by-law. If vehicles are tagged with a warning, and found continued to be unattended, the vehicle or boat may be removed by the Township or a person contracted on its behalf and shall be subject to the lien provisions, storage and disposal requirements, as set out in the Repair and Storage Liens Act.

How to submit a Planning Application

To submit a planning application, please refer to the choices of available applications below.

Consent (Severance)

Dividing land requires approval from the Committee of Adjustment.

Deeming By-Law

Required to remove a lot from a plan of subdivision; usually used when closing part of the Original Shore Road Allowance fronting a lot in order to ensure properties merge.

Community Planning Permit By-law

If you want to use or develop your property in a way that does not comply with the Community Planning Permit By-law 2021-111.

If you want to use or develop your property on Langmaid's Island in a way that does not comply with the applicable by-law (i.e. the Development Permit By-law 2004-180)

Development Permit By-law application (Langmaid's Island Only)

Amendment to Development Permit By-law application (Langmaid's Island Only)

Shoreline Activity Area Calculation Sheet

Official Plan Amendment

If you want to use or develop your property in a way that conflicts with the approved Official Plan, you will need to apply for an amendment.

For any questions, please contact the planning department via email at

Planning Fees

For policies and applications related to purchasing shoreline road allowances or road allowances, visit our Sale of Municipal Land page.

Please be advised that we require a minimum of 45 days to process a new STR application and 30 days for a renewal STR application from the time the application is complete.

Visit our Short-term Rentals page to apply for or renew your licence. 

Please be advised that it could take up to 45 days to process a complete application.

Permits required for the placement of Signs and Advertising Devices are regulated by the Sign By-law. Below are the links to the application and related fees. 

*Applications must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the event. Failure to do so may result in your application not being processed in time for your event.

Visit our Special Event Permit page for application forms and additional information.

Special Occasion Certificates from the Mayor may be requested for birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other types of special events.

Please submit your request in writing at least two (2) weeks prior to the special occasion to the Corporate Services Department and include the following information:

  • Name of individual(s) to receive certificate;
  • Reason for requesting special occasion certificate;
  • Date of special occasion;
  • Your name and contact information so that pick up arrangements can be made.

Please be advised that it could take up to 45 days to process a complete application.

Vendor's Permit Application and Fees


If you live on a District of Muskoka road, please visit their page for Road Permits and Applications or contact 705-645-6764.

Apply for an Entrance Permit if you need to install a new entrance, change the location of an existing one, or formalize an existing entrance. The Township is only responsible for entrances that have a finalized permit.

Apply for a Road Occupancy Permit before you install a utility within a Township road allowance, including:

  • Hydro
  • Septic
  • Telephone
  • Water

Any damage that you cause when installing a utility while not having a permit is your responsibility.

Apply for a Roads License Agreement before working on and/or improving a Township Road Allowance.

To learn more visit our Roads License Agreements page.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.